Last night i got to nerding it up again, this time with the 8703e blackberry, work phone, and linux.

Using this howto. My blackberry service is through Sprint, so my primary difficulty was with get the pppd settings to work, not until i began scrolling through some of the comments that i found someone using wvdial instead. once i tried it, that worked on the first try. i found on the BlackBerry website, they actually recommend that you can call your service provide and ask what APN can be used. from this howto, the APN is the “wap.voicestream.com”. either way should achieve the same end result.

the openmotif and openmotif-devel i was able to find in a typical SuSE-10.2 repository, but the Xlt libraries and the XmBlackBerry i had to download and compile from source, which was pretty straight forward.

if you are a slacker, i’ve made the SlackBuild scripts for these three packages, currently they are available here (xlt, openmotif, and xmblackberry)

cheers

vb